Wednesday, March 2, 2011

The Little Pink Man is Jumping for Joy Out of His Seat!




I’ve forgotten most of the Mandarin that I learned in college, so I don’t watch Chinese movies very often. But I really want to see “Breaking the Waves,” a movie about dragon boat racing.



The trailer gets good around the 35-second mark. Schlock like that makes me take back what I wrote earlier about the movie’s subject matter. It looks like “Breaking the Waves” is about dragon boat racing the same way “Deliverance” is about canoeing.

Oh well. Even "Rocky" had a love story in it. At least the training scenes look exciting, don’t they? Such determination! Such strength! Such horrible technique! The race scene is just as ridiculous. Not only does the boat flip over, it snaps in half like a papier-mâché Titanic! (Note to Coach Birk – Please cancel the order for the knockoff BuK boat. It’s not worth it.)

TWO THUMBS UP! Does anyone have a copy of this movie? It’s time for another DieselFish movie night!

Hello Internet friends! Doesn’t dragon boat racing with DieselFish sound like fun? Go to http://dieselfish.org/ now to sign up for a free practice session!

6 comments:

  1. WATCH OUT! An art house film with the same name was released in 1996. It’s a very different kind of movie.

    http://www.imdb.com/video/screenplay/vi3837460761/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was happy to see Eric Tsang, the Danny DeVito of Asia, is in it. That guy's hilarious!

    ReplyDelete
  3. *twothumbsup*
    Count me in!
    I'll definitely be at DF movie night for this one! =-9

    ReplyDelete
  4. If you don't snap a dragon boat in half (:58), you're not paddling hard enough. Let me know when this movie night is happening!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi dieselfish people, did you ever find a copy of this dvd? Curious Canadian dragon boaters want to know...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Beastie:

    We haven't had any luck finding a copy of this movie! That makes me want to see it even more. Let us know if you score a copy!

    ReplyDelete