Thursday, September 21, 2023

DIESELFISH LEGENDS: CHRISTIE | DieselFish Dragon Boat Team | Serving San Jose, Peninsula, San Francisco

This is DieselFish Dragon Boat Team’s 25th season! We’re going to celebrate this milestone by sharing stories from our past. Read on to learn about the team’s greatest triumphs and challenges—as told by the people that were there. Buckle up! This is the story of DieselFish.

Here’s a conversation I had with Christie. Christie was a crucial member of the team for many years. She stroked our lead boat and served as our manager.

san-jose-redwood-city-san-francisco-bay-area-dragon-boat-team-DieselFish-offers-free dragon-boat-lessons-in-redwood-city-DieselFish

DF: When did you paddle with DieselFish?

Christie: I paddled from March 2010 until November 2012.

DF: Why did you join DieselFish?

Christie: I joined DieselFish because I had always wanted to try dragon boating. I had a friend who was a mutual friend of Coach Birk’s, who suggested I try paddling with DieselFish. I emailed Birk who connected me to Alex, and the rest is history. Sidenote: At the time, I was living in Oakland and no one on DF mentioned that I could join an Oakland team that was closer to my home. I found this out at my first race and was really impressed with how aggressive DF recruited paddlers.

DF: Tell us your favorite DieselFish story:

Christie: For the two years I was in DF, it was a major part of my life. I went to practice 23 times a week and met so many new people. I went to meals after practice, and traveled to Long Beach, Boston, and Phoenix for races. I was the Team Manager for a few years and helped to govern DF for a few years. I consider my time with DF a really great time in my life (it was also when I was the fittest) and have kept in touch with many of the friends I made from the team. I also still do an annual camping trip with friends I made with another team through their partnership with DF and Team Moochy (a combined women’s team).

My favorite race for DF was one that I did at Lake Merced. I had been paddling with the team for a few years, and one of our coaches, Colin, had been telling us that we would know when we had the perfect race and the perfect boat. This particular race was the last heat of the day, and it was the perfect race. I still remember the feeling of the race where the entire boat was in synch, and the feeling of the boat surging through the water. Birk was steering from the back and calling so I think Colin may have been stroking at the front. What I still remember was in the last 1/3 of the race when you could feel the boat was surging and in the timing of the boat was perfectly synched and remember hearing Colin saying “I see open water! I see open water!” I still think about how Colin was right that you know when you are in the perfect race, because it just feels amazing. I’m grateful I got to experience a “perfect race” once in my life.

DF: How did DieselFish change your life?

Christie: I met my husband while paddling in DieselFish! Birk was the head coach when I was the Team Manager. We’ve been married 10 years and have 2 kids. I also have lifelong friends from DF and am so grateful to DF for all the good times and happy memories.

DF: Thanks for sharing your memories, Christie. We miss seeing you and Birk at practice.

→ Start your own legend by trying a FREE dragon boat lesson. Email Alex at DFcaptains@gmail.com to get started.

san-jose-redwood-city-san-francisco-bay-area-dragon-boat-team-DieselFish-offers-free dragon-boat-lessons-in-redwood-city

san-jose-redwood-city-san-francisco-bay-area-dragon-boat-team-DieselFish-offers-free dragon-boat-lessons-in-redwood-city


- Alex, the Minister of Newbie Happiness
🐲

Copyright 2023 DieselFish Dragon Boat Team. All rights reserved.

#dflegends #dieselfish #paddle #canoe #dragonboat #fitness #sanfrancisco #visitrwc #redwoodcity #siliconvalley #sanjose

No comments:

Post a Comment