Monday, February 27, 2012

Meet the Team




Dragon boat is the ultimate team sport! Nothing compares to the feeling you get when you work with your friends to hurtle a boat through the water! Here are some of the faces you’ll meet when you show up for a free practice session with DieselFish!

-The Minister of Newbie Happiness



*NAME: Patrick Ahyow
*HOMETOWN: Irvine, CA
*RESIDES: Sunnyvale
*PROFESSION: Scientist
*HOBBIES: Volleyball, basketball, triathlons, working out, working on cars, cooking and eating, snowboarding, surfing, trying new things.
*OTHER SPORTS I PLAY: See above
*HOW I FOUND OUT ABOUT DRAGON BOAT: My fraternity brother kept trying to recruit me. I finally decided to give it a shot during the summer of 2011.
*YEAR JOINED DIESELFISH: July 2011
*FAVORITE DIESELFISH MOMENT: Introducing the Dice game to DF at the 2011 Holiday Party
*FAVORITE AFTER-PRACTICE EATING SPOT: Pho after a cold night practice
*ADVICE FOR NEWCOMERS: As you first start it may be tiring or frustrating and you might be sore afterwards but don’t let that stop you. Put in the effort and the hard work, and you will be greatly rewarded.
*I PADDLE WITH DIESELFISH BECAUSE: I paddle because it’s a great workout, and I miss being on the water. I paddle with DieselFish because my teammates make all the difference. The camaraderie and sense of family amongst each other are an important part of any team sport. It also doesn't hurt that my office is down the street from BIAC.



¸><((((º> .,,.•´¯`•.. ¸><((((º> .,,.•´¯`•...,,.•´¯`•.. ¸><((((º> .,,.•´¯`•.. ¸><((((º>...,,.•´¯`•.. ¸><((((º>> .,,.•´¯`•...,,.•´¯`•..

*NAME: Faith
*HOMETOWN: Riverside
*RESIDES: Redwood City
*PROFESSION: Professional bleeding heart
*HOBBIES: Obsessing about food
*OTHER SPORTS I PLAY: Power Pilates (hugest chick crush on my teacher at the Page Mill YMCA)
*HOW I FOUND OUT ABOUT DRAGON BOAT: Paddled for a month with the expat team while teaching abroad in Yilan, Taiwan
*PREVIOUS TEAMS: See above
*YEAR JOINED DIESELFISH: Oct. 2010...I remember many rainy practices that winter!
*FAVORITE DIESELFISH MOMENT: Narrowly beating the team behind us (by ~.12 seconds) to claim 5th place out of over 50 teams at the Boston Dragon Boat Festival
*FAVORITE AFTER-PRACTICE EATING SPOT: New Mongolian BBQ in Mountain View
*ADVICE FOR NEWCOMERS: Just come out! I never participated in organized sports before dragon boat; paddling with DieselFish has challenged and stretched me in more ways than I can name.
*I PADDLE WITH DIESELFISH BECAUSE: It’s all about my fellow DieselFishies. One team, one stroke.



¸><((((º> .,,.•´¯`•.. ¸><((((º> .,,.•´¯`•...,,.•´¯`•.. ¸><((((º> .,,.•´¯`•.. ¸><((((º>...,,.•´¯`•.. ¸><((((º>> .,,.•´¯`•...,,.•´¯`•..

*NAME: Ben
*HOMETOWN: Hayward
*PROFESSION: Artist in the video game industry
*HOBBIES: Publishing comics and designing toys
*OTHER SPORTS I PLAY: Basketball, rock wall climbing
*HOW I FOUND OUT ABOUT DRAGON BOAT: Facebook
*YEAR JOINED DIESELFISH: 2010
*FAVORITE DIESELFISH MOMENT: Finishing first in a race in Portland rose festival in 2010 in a giant Taiwan boat
*FAVORITE AFTER-PRACTICE EATING SPOT: The kitchen at my work :P
*ADVICE FOR NEWCOMERS: Just have fun!
*I PADDLE WITH DIESELFISH BECAUSE: ... It’s fun. The feeling of being part of the “force” that is pulling the boat forward feels amazing.



Hello Internet friends! Doesn’t dragon boat racing with DieselFish sound like fun? Go to http://dieselfish.org/ now to sign up for a free practice session!

2 comments:

  1. We heart you, too! Wanna give paddling with DieselFish a try?

    -The Minister of Newbie Happiness

    ReplyDelete